Registration in the Netherlands

You are living abroad, want to move to Nijmegen and intend to stay longer than 4 months. Register in person within 5 days. Make an appointment at the Lifeport Welcome Center.

Long term stay

If you are planning to stay in the Netherlands for more than four months, you are required to register with the municipality where you will be living as soon as you arrive. You have to register in person. This first registration (eerste inschrijving) is needed in order to issue your Citizen Service Number (Burger Service Nummer, or BSN), which is absolutely vital for all residents of the Netherlands.

Read more

Short term stay

Every non-Dutch citizen (including citizens of the Schengen area) arriving in the Netherlands for work or study is required to register their presence in the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie personen or BRP). If you will be staying for less than four months, there is a special procedure for your registration: the ‘registration as a non-inhabitant’ (registratie niet ingezetenen or RNI).

Read more


The key to starting your new life in the Netherlands is getting a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer or BSN). Your BSN is a unique personal number allocated to everyone registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database, which makes it easier for public authorities and services to exchange information on residents of the Netherlands.

Read more