We harbour innovative companies, advanced universities, state-of-the-art hospitals and hubs in the fields of food, health and energy. The region is a true economic hot spot, and this means that there are plenty opportunities to do business, develop ground-breaking ideas and create lasting partnerships. Whether you're a game changer or want to get into an existing field, all the options are here.
Strategic location in the Netherlands
The Arnhem - Nijmegen - Wageningen area is situated in the northwest of Europe in between three significant urban areas and commercial hot spots: the Rhein-Ruhr area, the Brussel-Gent-Antwerp region and the Dutch Randstad megalopolis. We're also only an hour away from Europe's biggest harbour: the port of Rotterdam. This means that we've direct access to many significant European and global businesses as well as to extensive sales markets.
As we are at the heart of one of the most urbanised areas in the world, the accessibility by road, rail and water, in combination with the proximity to airports, is excellent.
A few important transport options in and near our region:
- There's a super-fast ICE train connection that runs from Amsterdam to Arnhem to Frankfurt and vice versa; enjoy swift access to the country's capital as well as to one of Germany's largest metropolises.
- The Betuweroute Railway connects Rotterdam to the Ruhr area in Germany; an easy journey from one industrial area to another!
- There are three intercontinental and eight international airports that you can reach within two hours of travel.
- Our proximity to Germany allows for excellent export options.
- There is a container terminal in Nijmegen: BCTN’s Inland Terminal Nijmegen is one of the major players in the field of intermodal container transport in the Netherlands and due to its favourable location along the River Waal, near the Maas-Waal canal and the encircling A50 and A73 motorways, the terminal has direct links to Rotterdam and the German hinterland via waterways.
Several important airports are located in close proximity to our area, allowing you all the mobility you might need for your business journeys:
- Schiphol Airport, the largest international airport of the Netherlands is approximately 75 minutes away by car and train. Trains stop directly below the departures/arrivals hall.
- The German international airport of Düsseldorf is also approximately 75 minutes away. It is smaller than Schiphol, but still offers flight to over 100 destinations.
- Dortmund Airport is a minor international airport that is mainly used for low-cost and leisure charter flights. It's approximately 90 minutes away.
- Eindhoven looks a lot smaller than Schiphol, but it's actually the country's second largest airport when it comes to number of passengers. If your destination is covered by the airport, it will save you a lot of time at the airport as the distances to the airports are very short. It's approximately 60 minutes away from our area.
- Brussels Airport is a bit further away, but can at times offer a cheaper alternative for flights. It's about 120 minutes away.
- Weeze Airport is tiny, but is used by a lot of low-cost carriers and it's very close to us. It's only 33 kilometres from Nijmegen, so it's ideal for a quick, cheap journey.
Highly educated workforce
Apart from being highly educated, multicultural and well grounded, nearly everyone in our area is at least bilingual (or even polyglottal). Our close proximity to Germany means that a lot of people speak passable German and are used to interacting with German businesses and partners. English is the lingua franca nearly everywhere in the world, but there are only a few places where it's spoken as well as in the Netherlands. In many of the university courses, being able to understand and speak English is a vital prerequisite. This means that if you're coming to the Arnhem – Nijmegen – Wageningen area, you will have no problems connecting to possible collaborators, contractors, employers or employees. If you do want to take that extra step to imbed yourself by learning the language, there are countless educational institutes that offer effective Dutch language courses. In our border region, language will not be a barrier!